Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sew many distractions

So one of the reasons I have not been knitting much (aside from the dishes, laundry and the pesky need to feed the kids) is that sewing bags has been a new thing for me. I found a free bag pattern I liked at allpeoplequilt.com and scaled it down to make a single small project bag.



OK, so I need to work on this whole posting pics to my blog thing. Bear with me, I'm new. So that was my first bag, completely hand sewn. I scaled down the pattern just a little to make a second bag, one for a larger project with some inside pockets and such (they are essentially reversible bags).



That one is made from 4 fat quarters, each a different pattern. I have been using it to keep the GAAA in, but I'm thinking that the knitalong I'm going to do with Kate will occupy this bag.

This past September I went to my first quilt show. I found a couple panels of Eric Carle fabric, one from the Very Hungry Catepillar and one from Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? I was thinking of making little quilts, but the panels were long and odd shaped. Then I decided to make a tote bag. Most of it is improvised, the bottom was made with square corners.


The inside is the Brown Bear fabris. There are pockets sewn in using the leftovers (the second picture) and I added a button and clasp to close the top.


This bag is likely going to be an overnight bag for the kids. Brett likes the idea of storing art supplies in it, so we will see.

And that is what I have been up to. I knit a bit of the GAAA and even knit some of the scarf, but the scarf will be the main focus this week, that and finishing Jack's bag (I made him a small bag like my pink/red one using Pooh fabric. I just need to finish the handles by hand and it will be done (Jack wants everything I make and seems to think these are all toy bags).

No comments:

Post a Comment